Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Do the Running Man

Some of you might know that the NYC Marathon was this past Sunday. I have never been the one to be intrigued with running (and personally its not something I enjoy) but it was truly amazing to see the insane amount of work that these runners put in to get here. I came away with a crazy amount of respect for these marathon participates - notice I didn't say runners. See Hubs and I walked over to Tavern on the Green after church since that was the ending of the marathon. Before the winners of the Female and Male runners came through we were able to see the professional wheelers. Watching them was plain and simple - inspiring. I might have even teared up a bit seeing some of the pain and joy as they neared the finish line. However, it was so cool to see the winners come through and be at the finish. Gebre Gebremariam from Ethiopia won the men's race coming through not evening look like he was tired in 2 hours and 8 minutes. I think that's how long it would take me to run 5 miles. Edna Kiplagat ran in 2 hours and 28 minutes. Seriously, unbelievable! It was a great Sunday with the race, walk through Central Park (with awesome weather) a little Midtown shopping and then off to small group. Here's a few pics of the runners...

The first runner is about to turn the corner


Winner

He's not even tired?!



4 comments:

  1. The marathon always runs up first avenue into Harlem, 1 block from our old apartment. We would always walk over and watch for an hour or so. I'm so glad that you two are getting to do all of these fun things, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I wish yall were still here to meet up with and do them together. I'd hire you to decorate my apt. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. marathon monday was my favorite day of the year when i lived in boston! the whole city shuts down and everyone lines the street to cheer on the participants. i loved seeing all of the runners, the spirit of those who took almost all day to finish, but my favorite was seeing dick hoyt pushing his son, rick, in the wheelchair race (there was an e-mail/youtube video that went around about them a few years ago about a father's love for his son-tear jerker.)
    i am also not a fan of running-i always say i don't even like to drive 26.2 miles, but something about seeing all of the runners and the spirit of encouragement almost inspired me to try it....almost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I know exactly what you mean - almost. And I tear up every time I read/watch that story. Its so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete