Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Versions

Suzy homemaker here... OK, not even close but I tried yesterday to get as close as I could which apparently is not very close. You can ask my family about all my lofty dreams of growing up and becoming an awesome wife by cooking and everything else that goes with that. And then I grew up and realized it's way harder than I thought! I cook maybe (I really mean maybe) twice a week, and I like it when I cook but I also like eating whatever is around without having to cook. So I really can't figure out which version is more me?! Well, the same is true with all of the recipes that I made yesterday. I looked through my cookbooks and in each I found a slightly different recipe than the first. So I had to pick even though I know I've made them all before. For instance, the Pumpkin Spice Bread, last night's Oven Fried Chicken and Brussel Sprouts. I'm sure you all have a recipe of your own but here is what I used yesterday. Feel free to share yours or others!!
3/4 cup of sugar & 3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 can of packed pumpkin
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 375. Grease loaf pan with butter. In bowl whisk together all dry ingredients except sugars. In seperate bowl whisk together sugars, pumpkin, eggs and oil. Beat all ingredients together. Pour into pan and bake 45 minutes. Top off with cinnamon whipped cream...
1 cu heavy whip cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Oven Fried Chicken and brussel sprouts (yes, mom and dad, I made brussel sprouts and ate them!! I must be growing up!)
3 cups corn flakes (crushed to about 1 cup)
1/3 grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 package chicken
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
Combine 1st five ingredients in zip-lock bag, seal and shake. Dip chicken in butter and then submerge and cover in mixture. Place coated chicken on lightly greased jellyroll pan and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or done. Brussel Sprouts from Barefoot Contessa

2 comments:

  1. I would love to try the pumpkin bread - I woukd also like the learn how to make brussel sprouts. I only know how to heat the frozen microwavable ones. How do you season/boi (or steam?) the fresh ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I did't do anything to them except salt them and put them on a pan to roast... click on the link! Super easy!

    ReplyDelete