Monday, August 29, 2011

Heck of a Weekend

Whew! The weekend is over and Irene dumped some rain down on NYC. But that is basically all little miss priss did while she visited, thankfully. There was some flooding over in Brooklyn and the Westside of Meatpacking but not much else. I'm glad to say that Irene ended up being much less than predicted since Hubs was out of town (and now delayed 2 days getting back home) and we were only 1 block East of being in zone A, which was the evacuated zone. We were in zone B. I walked over to Battery Park City on Saturday during a break in the rain to run an errand for a friend who had to evacuate and it was a ghost town! Normally the park is filled with kids playing and people throwing the frisbee and football or just laying in the grass. Not Saturday, they were all forced to evacuate. All the stores were closed on my walk over there and let me tell you, when the streets of NYC are quiet it's a strange feeling. There were hardly any cabs on the road and I think I only passed 4 other people on my walk. From then on out it was raining off and on until Irene decided she was done with this town and needed to move on to the next. However, by the time she knocked at our door she had lost speed. So by Sunday mid morning people were out purveying the "damage." Thankfully, there really wasn't any. I went out around noon to join in the fun and to my surprise the ground wasn't even wet anymore! The rest of the day was cloudy but the rain had moved on. However, the sunset was beautiful that night! Or maybe I was just happy to finally see the sun again...

Rain, rain, and more rain
Not the prettiest of Saturday evenings

Saturday night - no cars on the road


Deserted road

Caution tape at entrances into Battery Park
Look at the grass - proof that it was windy
Lady Liberty still standing tall
All the boats left the marina
Cops were everywhere and people were already back running along the water in Battery Park City at 12:30 PM
People moving back home. Do you see any puddles???
Beautiful clouds! (pics don't show the pretty array of colors)


3 comments:

  1. Was thinking about you lots this past weekend. Glad Irene left you guys alone. Loved your photos - so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you guys are ok! I can't imagine the city being deserted like that!

    ReplyDelete