Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beans + Soup

So after getting some yummy looking recipes from yall yesterday I picked one for dinner last night. It actually surpassed my expectations! (Thank you, Jenny for the awesome recipe) The recipe is for Tuscan Bean Soup. Yum. This was the first time that I had eaten a Tuscan Bean Soup let alone ever made this soup. I don't think its suppose to be as thick as I made it so just disregard the last picture. Its a very hearty soup for the Fall! I'm also sure that Jenny's looks and probably tastes better but our household still ate it up! So like I said yesterday, I'm sharing the recipes with yall - from yall. Enjoy!

Onion, carrots and celery first
tomato paste and garlic (look at the mound of garlic)
Then the yummy bacon and tomato sauce
Cannellini beans
I don't think its normally this thick (although I do love thick soups)

Tuscan Bean Soup-

2 slices maple bacon, cut into small chunks (if you're like me then you might need more since I ate 2 after I cooked them because they smelled so good - then I had to cook 2 more)

Chop the below 4 ingredients-

1 small sweet onion

1 carrot

2 celery stalks

2 cloves garlic (I of course used more since we LOVE garlic)

Pinch or two of Red pepper

2 Bay leaves

Fresh thyme

1 jar San Marzano tomato sauce

¼ cup tomato paste (I accidentally used the whole can oops!)

2 cans cannelini beans

2 boxes chicken stock (28 ounces total)

Salt

Pepper

Elbow pasta - ½ lb (or a little less)

1) In deep pot, render the bacon until just crispy - set aside in a bowl leaving the bacon oil in the pot.

2) In the same pot add 2 TBLS olive oil along with diced onion, carrot, celery and salt and pepper. Sauté for 10-12 minutes until soft throughout.

3) Add garlic and tomato paste, sauté another 2-3 minutes.

4) Add back the bacon with 1 jar San Marzano tomato sauce, 2 boxes of chicken sauce, fresh thyme, 2 bay leaves, salt, pepper and red pepper, to taste.

5) Cook for 30 minutes on med - low heat.

6) Drain 2 cans of cannelini beans and add to pot. Cook another 15-20 min.

7) Add elbow pasta and cook on med-low until pasta is just done.

8) Serve with olive oil drizzled on top and freshly ground pepper.

For a less chunky soup, after adding the garlic and tomato paste, pulse an immersion blender through the vegetable mixture a few time

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these recipes! I love new recipes and look forward to trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is great! Yall should definitely try it

    ReplyDelete